Saturday 21 October 2017

The Alchemist's Secret by Scott Mariani

   BOOK ONE OF "BEN HOPE"

  After a whole month without reading a single book, I've decided to start reading on the bus (I use it twice a day which makes almost an hour spent wandering through the window.) So, it's something, after all, I may finish the books a little slower but I'll be reading (I was afraid the next time I'm reading a book would've been at Christmas holiday!) Last week when I came up with this statement, I opened my folder with ebooks and I'd already known I wanted to read a thriller and I settled on Ben Hope's series. And I don't regret at all.
  Wow, quite a nice cover, I like it. Some mist and mystery(there's even a rhyme!) and the running man - very appropriate.
  The Alchemist's Secret wasn't like anything I've read before. It's pretty different unusual. Ben Hope is an ex-SAS soldier which is so cool, I like professional warriors. He reminded me a bit of Eddie Chase (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase series by Andy McDermott) due to his profession. They're both badass characters (my favourite!). The book also reminded me of Dan Brown's books since the main protagonist is a man yet Ben Hope's not a historian nor scientist, but he's doing very well with solving the riddles and mysteries. I like his appearance, he's blonde with blue eyes and I'm obsessed with this combination. How can't I like him even more?
  The Alchemist's Secret is some kind familiar and not at the same time. It may sound strange but that's how I felt it. This... secret(I'm not giving any spoilers) is quite different from what I've read before - it isn't an ancient artefact, I think it's more like... metaphysical maybe? I'm not or was not so familiar with alchemy, but I've read The Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands and I know some stuff.
  One thing I didn't like a lot was the physical torture and I understood my thriller book with a serial killer looks like a child's book in comparison with Franko Bozza. I've read exactly this chapter on the bus stop and later this day went to a museum in Aberdeen which is actually a 17/18th-century prison and I was like - no, I'm not getting any further. After reading it I even felt nausea(it was too much for me).
  But the whole potential of the series is great and I can see how I'll be reading these books the next couple of weeks (but I'll try not to overdo it because I'll be fed up). I like the plot and the conception, it's very interesting and has this flavour of excitement I love the most in thrillers as well the funny side and the mysterious one. I may say I recommend this book and I'm already looking forward to the next one - in fact, can't wait to get into it (I'm only at the beginning).

2 comments:

  1. I like reading on the bus, well no not the bus but the train. Somethimes those moments are the only moments I can read a book. Pfff. Busy much? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much, I'm a Fresher at uni and I have so many things to do (sometimes I just wanna stop and do nothing at all, really!).

      Delete