Sunday 18 February 2018

Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo

  The Hunchback of Notre-Dame or its original title Notre-Dame de Paris. Actually, I speak French so that's why I prefer the original title. The first reminds me of the animated film which is too far from the reality. It's made for children so it's rather false because... well, death's not a good thing for little kids to watch. However, a Victor Hugo novel isn't appropriate for young at all. His style of writing is very... complicated and hard to perceive. Maybe his books are difficult even for adults, what about young people. Well, I've read this book as a teen at the age of 15 maybe? Because I wanted to and I've always been strong mentally and I love to challenge myself. And Hugo's books are really a challenge.
  I can say no bad thing about one of the best authors of all time. I think his works are much better than those in the 10th Grade Literature classes that corresponds to the age in which he lived. That's the 10th grade in Bulgaria and we have to learn some very stupid things, well even the fact saying they're obligatory makes me sick and I'd hardly ever read anything at school. Because 1) boring and 2) I hate making me do something that's equal to the opposite, aka not doing it at all. That's the thing with me. In fact, this book has been featured in the program, but apparently, it has been dropped, which is a shame. Victor Hugo is truly a classic and absolutely professional. It is no coincidence that he is one of my favourite authors.
  From the beginning, I knew that this story was familiar to me. And I remembered that as a kid I've watched The Hunchback of Notre Dame, an adapted version for children. In the course of the novel, it became clear how much adapted, because a lot of things do not match, but Andersen's Little Mermaid in the original is far from being Disney's (and most of the fairy tales if one thinks). There was, however, a reason to cut out or change some things, but basically, the main characters are the same - the gipsy Esmeralda, Quasimodo, Abbath Faria and other characters from the novel. All the while, however, I associated the images of Quasimodo and Esmeralda with those of the film, because that was how it came to me from inside and I just did not know how to imagine them any other way.
  I think the book deserves its attention and its style of writing is at a totally different level. Somewhat difficult for me to read those parts in Latin because I have no idea of it, even I could not read the Old French, it is completely different from modern French which we know today. The whole story and everything in the book is at a completely different level, clearly showing that it is not a reading for a child. It is written quite well and everything is described in the smallest detail, for which I can only admire this incredible author.
  In a typical Hugo style, he seems to condemn his characters to a tough fate. But there seems to be something beautiful about it, and even the sad end seems wonderful in his novels. His characters are doomed to their destiny even before life has swallowed them. It affects the poor circles and the action develops around such people, especially in Paris at the time. His books are undoubtedly related to the historical period in which they were created in the 19th century, which couldn't be otherwise, but so characteristic of Romanticism. Particularly Notre-Dame de Paris, which tells not one story and a terrible fate. That's what impresses me in classical books, and it has attracted me the most to read them. And Victor Hugo became one of my favorite authors because of our similar styles and ... the tendency to the sad end (I definitely have one). It may not be half as much as Les Miserables, but the Notre-Dame de Paris is no less good. I read it first and I can say that I am extremely glad to have both of them paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment